Health ministry in Gaza says war death toll at 41,182m Worldwide Condemnation

The health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza said on Saturday that at least 41,182 people have been killed in the conflict between Israel and Palestinian fighters, now in its 12th month.

The toll includes 64 deaths in the previous 48 hours, according to the ministry, which said 95,280 people have been wounded in the Gaza Strip since the war began when Hamas attacked Israel on October 7.

The war in Gaza broke out after the October 7 attack by Hamas on southern Israel, which resulted in the deaths of 1,205 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures.

The Palestinian group also seized 251 captives during the attack, 97 of whom are still held in Gaza, including 33 the Israeli military says are dead. The count includes hostages killed in captivity.

Israel’s retaliatory military campaign has so far killed at least 41,118 people in Gaza, according to the health ministry of the Hamas-run territory, which does not provide details of civilian and Hamas fighter deaths.

Israel faced international condemnation Thursday after a strike killed 18 people at a school-turned-shelter for displaced Palestinians in war-torn Gaza, where the Israeli military said it targeted Hamas.

The attack flattened part of the UN-run Al-Jawni school in Nuseirat on Wednesday, leaving only a charred heap of rebar and concrete.

“For the fifth time, Israeli forces bombed the UNRWA-run Al-Jawni School, killing 18 citizens,” Gaza civil defence spokesperson Mahmud Bassal wrote on Telegram, referring to the UN agency for Palestinian refugees.

UNRWA later said six of its staff had been killed in two Israeli strikes on the school and its surroundings, calling it the highest death toll among its team in a single incident.

“Among those killed was the manager of the UNRWA shelter and other team members providing assistance to displaced people,” it said on X. “Schools and other civilian infrastructure must be protected at all times, they are not a target.”

The Israeli military said it had conducted a “precise strike” on Hamas within the school grounds. It did not elaborate on the outcome, but said “numerous steps” were taken to reduce the risk to civilians.

UN chief Antonio Guterres branded the strike “totally unacceptable”.

His condemnation was echoed by Israeli ally Germany, which said “humanitarian aid workers must never be victims of rockets”.

Previous Post Next Post